Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Some Of Our Graduates

2010

Mela: Kebrewosen Densamo,which college did you go to?
Kebrewosen: I went to the University of Massachusetts Amherst and  received  my Bachelor degree.

Mela: What did you major in and why?

Kebrewosen:  I majored in Public Health with a Concentration in Epidemiology and a minor in Education.

Mela: What do you like best about your college years what was (were) your challenges and how did you handle it (them)?

Kebrewosen: Ever since I started school in kindergarten I loved learning. I came from a family of hard workers who ambitiously achieved their goals. I aspire to one day conquer my goals like them, so they will be proud of me as I am of them.

With God's help, my family, and the church family prayer/support and with my hard work I was able to reach where I am today; a college graduate with a bachelor degree. What I like about school is the experience of learning new knowledge, conversing with my peers.

My challenge at first was surviving in a big school such as UMass, where 30,000 students attend and with that comes competing for resources and less individual attention. That meant I had to seek resources in order to succeed. On my first visit to UMass campus, during my search for colleges a campus tour guide told me: "You have the ability to make what you want and do what you want and get what you want in UMass."
 
I interpreted this as, if I wanted to do well I could, but if I want to fool around I also had that option. I realized that it takes one’s determination, vision, self control and strong will to stand on your own and not be swayed into what others want you to do. I stayed true  to my values which helped me succeed in college.

Mela: Who was (were) your role model growing?

Kebrewosen: My dad was my role model growing up.  I was inspired by his hard work and commitment to his goals. He worked himself out of the countryside Sidamo (where he was raised) then through running track making it to the city, Addis Ababa and eventually moving on to the western world countries. He eventually was able to achieve his dreams with the help of God becoming world famous Marathon record holder, in addition to being one of the first to hold the record for 10 years successfully. He taught me to dream big and to always put God first and if I do that nothing can stop me.

I recall in my childhood being asked by news reporters who I wanted to be when I grew up and I would answer:  “one day I want to replace my dad and other famous runners such as Derartu Tulu in running.” However, my dad advised me that he didn’t want me to physically run, but instead run in receiving an education. He explained that he pursued running because he did not have educational opportunities. He did it as an outlet to provide for his family and future children . He left his home Ethiopia  and immigrated to America so that his children could have access to quality education. I am proud and grateful for the sacrifices my parents made and I have been running in my education ever since.

My future plans include: Interning in the field of public health around greater Boston or somewhere abroad for a year or two and eventually pursuing my master’s degree.

Mela: What advice do you give to girls in high school?

Kebrewosen: I would advise high school students to take an array of classes in order to get a better sense of what they enjoy learning about. This can help you get a better sense of what you might want to major in for college. For instance, challenge yourself by taking advanced placement courses in math, English and science classes, which will better prepare you for college level courses.

 I would also advise girls to stay away from guys, because they tend to be a big distraction from your ability to succeed in school. However, if you do decide to date make sure to choose someone who is supportive of you succeeding. If you do decide to be sexually active, please take the proper precaution to avoid teenage pregnancy.

High school is a difficult time and for many girls they are still trying to decide what they value. I suggest being an independent thinker and not being easily swayed but what everyone else is perceived as doing. If you are surrounded by people who are not comfortable with your decisions they are probably not your real friends.


Find friends who have similar goals, so that you all can encourage and challenge each other.
Never give up  it is never too late to change and positively impact your life and those around you. Major in something that you love to do, but be realistic as possible, personal qualities and God given gifts do count and matter. Don’t let others make decisions for you, but at the same time make an educated decision.

Ask questions, think positive, be confident, study hard, learn time management skills, and have tactics for studying for it will prepare you for college and beyond.


Mela :  Tizita. Makuria, can you tell us about your self ?

Tizita: About 25 years ago, my mother immigrated from Ethiopia to Kenya and next to the United States, in order to improve her future opportunities. When my mother arrived in the United States she enrolled in Community College as a way to receive an adequate education. She struggled through an array of unpromising jobs, but through perseverance she now has a satisfying job.

Mela: 2. What do you like best about your high school years? 

Tizita: I appreciated the community atmosphere my high school provided. I especially felt a closer bond with my graduating class, my last year in high school, which was created through shared experiences.
 
Over the past four years, there was a bond created between administrators, faculty and my fellow peers, which I will always cherish. 

Mela: What was (were) your challenges and how did you handle it (them)?

Tizita: My biggest challenge in high school was succeeding in advanced placement (AP) classes, because I initially doubted my ability to do well. However, through the support of my encouraging family members and friends, I gained the courage to enroll in AP classes. As time passed I began to feel more comfortable voicing my opinions in AP classes. I made sure to work hard in those classes in order to succeed. Taking AP classes challenged me academically and socially which will better prepare me for college.

Mela: Are you planning to attend college in the fall? If you do which college you would you be attending and why did you choose that college

Tizita: In the fall I will attend Colby- Sawyer College. My hard work translated into a full tuition scholarship granted by the college. I plan to major in History, Society and Culture. I appreciate the small liberal arts college setting in a suburban area, because it fosters an environment of community which I will strive in. 

Mela: Did you have any role models?

Tizita: I have several role models one is my mother because she raised me to be the young-woman I am today. She always made sure to provide sound advice and resources I needed in order to succeed in school. I am also appreciative of having cousins who have gone to college and advised me of the importance of being a leader academically and within my community. I come from a large family who originally immigrated from Ethiopia and under hard circumstances settled in the United States. It is inspiring to see how they have all created a better life for themselves here.
Mela:. What advice do you give to girls in high school? 

Tizita: My advice for girls in high school is to maintain a strong work ethic and to get involved in your community. Whether it is in clubs or sports, getting involved is a great way to strengthen your leadership skills. Also the more involved students are the more likely their  grades will improve. The reason is because girls will use their time more carefully. 
Mela: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? 

Addisalem:  My parents moved from Ethiopia to Sudan and lived there for 20 years. During their time in Sudan I was born and lived there for 9 years. In 2001, me and my parents left Sudan and settled in Cambridge Massachusetts.
  
Mela:  What do you like best about your high school years?

Addisalem: I appreciated meeting new people from diverse backgrounds. High School created an environment for me to learn through every day experiences. I enjoyed settings, such as sport, dance and general assembly events; which fostered informal learning through conversations with faculty and peers.

Mela: What was (were) your challenges and how did you handle it (them)?

Addisalem:  One of my biggest challenges was experiencing the loss of my father and close friend. The biggest obstacle was learning how to cope with two devastating tragedies. I made sure to surround myself with positive people who love me and I consciously tried to have a positive outlook on life. I am aware that life brings challenges that often we cannot prepare for and it is important how we deal with these challenges. The loss of these two people continues to be a challenge, but each day the coping process becomes smoother.

Mela: Are you planning to attend college in the fall?

Addisalem:  I will be attending Regis College and I plan to study Political Science and International Affairs. I picked Regis College because of the location and I received a promising financial aid package.
 
Mela: Did you have any role models?

Addisalem: My role models are my parents, because I admire their hard work and knowledge. My parents inspire me to challenge myself academically, so that I can make a positive contribution to the world. The obstacles they encountered strongly motivate me to work hard and also encourage me to be innovative. My parents have provided a strong foundation for me through providing vast opportunities and support.  They are the sole reason for my success.

Mela: What advice do you give to girls in high school?

Addisalem: I would tell girls in high school to have a positive outlook on life, because it can influence your overall success. Furthermore, being resilient is also important, especially in times when your strength is greatly challenged. Perseverance is a quality which will allow girls to continue to succeed, even if they are told they are not capable. Obviously, we all make mistakes, but learning from those mistakes is key. I would suggest girls should aspire high, while at the same time having balance in life. Such as achieving goals is critical, while taking breaks is important for your health and overall well being.
 
Addisalem Agenehu & her Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment