Tuesday, September 27, 2011

One of our Graduates of 2009

2009

Mela: Can you tell us a little bit about your upbringing?

Beza Ayalew:  My parents left Ethiopia to escape political turmoil in the 1970s. They resided in Boston, Massachusetts in the hopes to provide their future children and themselves with better education and career opportunities. My parents emphasized the importance of education as a vehicle to transform our social, political and economic status. I grew up in a tight-knit family which included my parents, my older sister, cousin, and aunt. I grew up in a supportive and encouraging environment where everyone believed in me. As I got older, my parents instilled a lot of trust in me.  My parent’s progressive parenting approach, granted me many freedoms.  It was this level of trust that allowed me to learn from my own choices. Knowing that my parents trusted me encouraged me to make responsible decisions in order to meet their high expectations.

Mela: How important was the support of your family during your college years?

Beza: My family is the greatest support system in my life. I am truly blessed to have family members who are invested in my progress and success.  I faced many challenges during my four years at Denison University.  I could always rely on the advice and support of my sister and my aunt. There wasn’t a day that went by when I didn’t speak to one of my family members. I knew that despite the distance, my support network remained strong.

Mela which characteristics best attribute to your successes? 

Beza: I am hardworking, funny, and thoughtful. These characteristics have made me happy, productive, and successful in school. It is very important to me that I produce the best work I can, because my name is on all of my assignments. I want my work to adequately reflect my intelligence, diligence and creativity. Being a hard worker is all about effort and time. I am a patient person, so it allows me to pay attention to detail and immerse myself in my work, in organizations, and volunteer activities. I also like to have fun. Many of my friends enjoy my company because I have a sense of humor. I think it is important to have a life balance, between work and play.  My motto is to work hard and then reward yourself I reward myself by hanging out with friends or watching a movie. I have a personal rule of not doing homework on Fridays. Fridays were set aside as a day to relax and socialize after a week of classes. In college, I learned how to balance my time between succeeding in my academics and maintaining a healthy social life.

No comments:

Post a Comment