Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ethiopia: A second home to Beyonce

Winter 2008

Beyonce Knowles, the famous American Rhythm and Blues (R&B) singer during her recent visit to Ethiopia in October 2007 to perform at the Multi-million dollar “Millennium Concert Hall", built by the Ethiopian billionaire Sheik Mohamed Hussein Al-Amoudi in the capital Addis Ababa, indicated her wish to return to the east African country in near future. She attended a congregation held at the Trinity Cathedral, attired in a traditional Ethiopian dress. She was presented an Amharic book that depicts the early history of Axum, a city in northern Ethiopia, since the last 2000 years.

After the ceremony there, she told the Ethiopian Orthodox Church Patriarch Abune-Paulos, “I feel like as (if) it’s a second home. I have) traveled to many places before, but I have never been to a place with a spirit like Ethiopia. I am very honored to have been in this beautiful place and I can’t wait to come back here again. I have enjoyed myself.” She said that she found Ethiopia wonderful and couldn’t wait to come back.

The multi-Grammy award winner went on visit the various sights in Addis Ababa,  including the government residences, palaces and other national attraca banquet organized in her honor.  "This is a beautiful country. This is an overwhelming day, it just makes me feel blessed that I am able to bless other people.” she said.

Before her performance at the concert, Beyonce also planted tree seedlings as part of the Ethiopian Millennium tree planting campaign known as “Two Trees for 2000.” The singer felt very much at home before her performance- a rare one in the poverty stricken continent. She sang many of her well-known songs including “Crazy in Love”- a favorite in Addis Ababa.

 
People from neighboring countries attended her concert in Ethiopia which was also a commemoration of the Ethiopian millennium. Beyonce, in an exclusive interview with ENA on Saturday, said about the new Ethiopian millennium, “The millennium is exciting and it is very different. I don’t know if I understand how we have two different millenniums. But I know now how it is in the year 2,000, it is very exciting. And I am happy to be a part of it.”


No comments:

Post a Comment