Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My Visit to Kaliti Prison, by Addis Ferengi


Fall 2006

I had woke up before the sun rises to reach he prison on time. These damned Chinese do not finish this damned road from Asella and I had messed up again, visits were from 9 to 10 Sure—but Ethiopian time etc.
Anyway somehow I managed to finally enter Kaliti’s back door a 3:00 PM. This meant a lot to me. I have the greater admiration for prisoners of conscience. Talking to Lech Walesa or Nelson Mandela in their cells would have been a scoop for any journalist and this was mine.

"you are not allowed to talk to more than one prisoner"
I asked to meet Birtukan Mideksa – you are not allowed to talk to more than one prisoner - and soon found guides. “You are Addis Ferengi ?”.Was it so obvious? Probably, who else ? 
 

I followed the path up to the “visiting room”, barriers of wood and an iron sheet roof. You can reach the detainees’ hands but Birtukan’s mother had to climb on the fence to allow her daughter to gently kiss her hand. I was already saddened to tears. The young judge looked lovely, in white and light blue, casual yet elegant with a discreet gold necklace and her hairs done.

I felt sorry to meet her again in such circumstances and told her so. I had brought some books I hoped she would appreciate and will give them to her friends since you are not allowed to bring them in during the week-end.

How was her health, her moral, the sanitary conditions?
Birtukan (1) would not complain. Her spirits were high she said and that is what mattered. I wondered how free you are to express yourself with at least two hostile persons listening to your conversations. They are easy to spot, whether they wear a uniform or not, message

 
 “We are the Lords here”, poor Lords actually but certainly able of mean retributions when their prisoners do not behave.at is wAnyway the whole game is to ignore them.

AF: How do you see your future?

BM: Oh honestly I do not expect anything positive in the near future.
AF: The trial, do you think it will last for long?

BM: Oh yes, it will take time. There are yet more than 300 hundred witnesses to hear.
Anyway the whole game is to ignore them.

AF: How do you see your future?

BM: Oh honestly I do not expect anything positive in the near future.
AF: The trial, do you think it will last for long?

BM: Oh yes, it will take time. There are yet more than 300 hundred witnesses to hear.

The emphasis on the term “witnesses” was unmistakably ironical.
I recognized the typical Habesha pride in the bold smiles, the head held high and I respect it. Yet I will never believe a young woman separated from her family, husband and child, kept in a squalid and crowded cell does not deeply suffer.
Keep your head held high sister, you committed no crime. You are MY heroine…


 
Birtukan Mideksa: prisoner of conscience

No comments:

Post a Comment