Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Champion Runner Returns to site of World Record with Daughter, by Seble Argaw


December 2005
Last April Kebrewosen Belayneh and her father, Belayneh Densamo returned to Holland to commemorate the 1986 Rotterdam Marathon in which he set a world record for the (?) race. So  I asked Kebrewosen to discuss her reflections on that important trip. She also provided transcript from the interview she and her  father did with a major newspaper in Holland. 
Mela: We saw you and your father Belayneh Densamo’s picture together on a major Holland newspaper, but since it was written in the Dutch language we were unable to understand what it was about? Please tell us a little bit about why you both went to Holland?
Kebrewosen: First, the title of the newspaper was ldblquote Belayneh Densamo brought his daughter Kebrewosen. The newspaper was about my dad and me basically and it was the interview we did.  The reason why my dad and I went to Holland was because there was a Marathon race and the organizers decided to call and invite all the former winners of the Rotterdam Marathon and broke a record. They were from different parts of the world such as from Britain, Scotland, Spain, Portugal, Kenya, and Ethiopia etc. At first they invited my father and my mother but since my mother has been to Holland before and because there was nobody to look after my sisters, my father decided to take me instead.
Mela: How do you feel being with your father in such big event where your father was not only representing himself but also our country?
Kebrewosen: After my father told the organizers of the trip that he was bringing his daughter (which is me they were happy and looking forward to see me For me, going and being with my dad who is not only representing himself but also his country Ethiopia, I feel proud, happy, excited and lucky too.
Mela: What were some of the questions they asked your father and you? 
Kebrewosen:  The journalist asked us a lot of questions, such as what my name means and  I said that when my father was running at the marathon Rotterdam my mom was in labor with me and she had me the same time and day my father broke the world record. So because of these special reasons the people of Ethiopia decided to find a perfect name for me. Finally I was named Kebrewosen which is now another word for world record. They asked me if I am going to be a runner like my dad .I told them that my dad used to live in the countryside along with other Ethiopian athletes who became famous. I am a city girl and because I am used to going by car everywhere unlike my dad back in his young days I don’t think I will be a runner. In college I want to study nursing or Architecture.
Mela: Which places in Holland would you like to visit?
Kebrewosen: I would like to see the starting and stopping point of the race where my dad broke the world record in 1986.
 Mela: How many years has it been since you have been in Rotterdam? And what do you feel coming back?
Belayneh: It has been 8 years since I have been in Holland and I feel happy because it brings back a lot of memories. It also gives me satisfaction and a great sense of accomplishment for what I did. I did this not only for myself but also out of love for my country.
Mela: What did you like the most about the event or you didn’t like?
Right after I arrived at Holland it was raining and my first impression was a sad one, but then as soon as I arrived at the hotel I had already forgotten about the weather. The hotel we stayed in it was neat and luxurious, the food was delicious and our room was just fantastic. The people were also great; they were very helpful and friendly, too.

The picture in the newspaper was taken on the top floor of a cruise ship we went on. We had lunch there and we also went over the new bridge that was built and that was our background picture. This trip was a once in a lifetime for me. I am happy and grateful for going there and being part of that occasion.

I saw a lot of things like different architectural buildings and learned a lot about the Dutch culture and way of living.  This trip was a wonderful experience for me. I met a lot of famous people and made Dutch friends. I had felt like I had a week of fame, because the people were treating us like celebrities.  We were in the newspaper as well as on the TV. It was amazing. At the end the most hard and emotional time I had was saying good-bye.

 
Kebrewosen Belayneh and her father, Belayneh Densamo

No comments:

Post a Comment